After what seems to be a long and cold winter season, we only started getting warmer this week.

Yesterday was one of those beautiful days with the temperature around 74* F.
I was driving back to home from work and it was around 5 O clock in the evening.
The road was clear and there is no traffic at all. I kept changing the songs [my iPhone is connected to the car stereo] till it picked one of my favorite songs randomly. It was a smooth ride till I see some flashing lights in the back of my car.

Cop CarIn the USA, it means a police car is behind you and you need to stop and pull over. It means you did some traffic offense and the cop is going to issue a ticket to you.
I pulled over to the side and the cop came around to my side window.
I handed him over my license, registration and the insurance documents.
He : “Do you know why I pulled you over, sir ?”
Me : “I don’t know.”
He : “You were going at 75 miles speed”
Actually it might be true that I was going fast, but I do not know if it is that much.
I told him the truth.
Me : “I don’t know if I was speeding. I think I did not realize how fast I was going.”

Cop Car 2He went back to his car with my documents and I was sitting there wondering what would happen.
If he gives me a speeding ticket, then it would cost me a couple of hundred dollars in fine. It will also add “points” to my driving history which would cause my car insurance to go higher too. That will cost me, close to a thousand dollars over the course of next three years. If I go to the court, the prosecutor might reduce the offense to something lower and leave me with just a fine but no “points”, but that means I have to lose some hours from work to go the court. So, what can I do now?

The cop came back after seeing all my driving history.
He : “I saw that you have no points in your license right now.”
I was wondering to myself “So, you are going to add some points now?”
He : “Since you did not lie to me, I am going to let you go this time without a speeding ticket. I will only give a ticket for ‘Obstruction of view in the windshield’. This one does not carry any points but you will have to pay the appropriate fine.”
and then he started talking about all the legal options I have and the court date if I want to challenge this etc and everything was going above my head.
Me : “Thank you, Officer”.

and oh man…did I tell you “Yesterday was a beautiful day” ?

7 Responses to “Yesterday was a beautiful day!”

1. Brian says:

Good read. I just want you to know I am using one of your templates with my page. I submited my own picture, but thanks for helping my page. BTW It is a beautiful day!!

Brian

2. Sarav says:

🙂 Sure yesterday was a beautiful day for you!!

I used to try pleasing the police whenever I get caught.
    Me: ‘good evening officer, how are you?’ (hoping to see some sympathy in his face: I don’t think it ever works for male drivers!!)
    he: ‘do you have the license, registration and insurance?’ (keeping his face tight and keeping his hand on the pistol)
    He : ‘Do you know why I pulled you over, sir ?’
    Me : ‘I don’t know officer.’ (with an innocent face)
    He: ‘You were speeding at — miles an hour’
    Me: ‘Was I?'(surprised face)
    I even tried telling him some times, that I don’t have any points or can’t afford any points. Nothing ever worked!! 🙁

Yesterday was never a ‘beautiful day’ for me!! 🙂

3. Sadish says:

Sarav,
    Dont worry about your yesterdays.
    I already read on your website, that your appavi-face trick is working out with Indian cops. 🙂

4. shankarkotkar says:

Good presentation,even in India you will come across a policeman.

5. Gary says:

Good story. I have several:
    – I made an illegal left turn in SF and a cop started following me with his lights on. I didn’t realize what I had done and pulled over, opened my window, and tried to wave the cop on, thinking he just wanted me out of the way. Result: I got a verbal warning.
    – After waiting for oncoming traffic to pass, I made an illegal left turn in SF . I didn’t realize what I had done and was pulled over. Result: a ticket. Maybe I should have tried to wave him on.
    I guess there are good days and bad. I gotta watch those signs though!

6. The way you have narrated the story is good. I feel the cop was a cool guy. At least he did not want to be the first man in adding points to your license. And, I think you weren’t wrong in calling that day a beautiful day…

7. corsetkitten says:

That’s really awesome! 🙂 And of course, it never hurts to be polite and respectful to the police…. That _never_ hurts!
    If you’d given him attitude or acted like he had no right to stop you it would have been different. Very glad you avoided having points!

Happy driving!