I recently read this Zen Story.

During a momentous battle, a Japanese general decided to attack even though his army was greatly outnumbered. He was confident they would win,but his men were filled with doubt.

On the way to the battle, they stopped at a religious shrine. After praying with the men, the general took out a coin and said, “I shall now toss this coin. If it is heads, we shall win. If tails, we shall lose. Destiny will now reveal itself.” He threw the coin into the air and all watched intently as it landed.
It was heads.
The soldiers were so overjoyed and filled with confidence that they vigorously attacked the enemy and were victorious. After the battle, a lieutenant remarked to the general, “No one can change destiny.”
“Quite right,” the general replied as he showed the lieutenant the coin, which had heads on both sides.

What is your reaction to this story? Pour in your thoughts!

7 Responses to “Destiny – A Zen Story”

1. Eric says:

Hi Sadish,
    I just found your blog thru a certain blogger who is using your free template…..your creations had caught my attention..they are very simple yet expressing the thoughts of life.
    On the contrary,I’m a blogger.com user not a wordpress….I wish to use your free template with the hope you’ll create something for the blogger user….

2. kaushik says:

Hi Sadish,
    Wanakkam,

I have been using your MistyLook theme on my blog
    It is excellent. I just needed to do some tweaking. I wanted the home page to look like a web magazine. The most recent feature being the feature post and the past ones as a summaries under various categories. Pls see an example here: http://www.revolutiontheme.com/pro/

I host the blog on the wordpress server so don’t have the access to the root folder. If you could help me with some tip I would really aprreciate it.

thanks a lot
    Kaushik Ghosh
    kaushik.t.ghosh@gmail.com

3. Hi Sadish,
    I came to your blog from wordpress template section. I liked you mistylook theme and wanted to say thank you for the great work. I will be using your theme for my blog techjour.wordpress.com

4. matt says:

hi Sadish

I am using your wordpress theme for my blog. I love it very much. thank you !!
    Can is use a different photo header on each page?

kind regards
    Matt.

5. glai says:

hi! i just use your ‘mistylook’ blog layout.. it’s simple but very expressive.. i wish you can make another version of ‘mistylook’.. a black background.. just too fit who i really is.. thank you so much.. i’m looking forward on it..

6. Jonathan says:

My thoughts on the story? Seems military generals have a similar mindset regardless of their culture, religion, or ethnicity!
    Win the battle at all costs, and do whatever it takes to inspire the troops!

The principle here is no different than that used by the general in the Persian-Greek wars, when after landing his forces, greatly outnumbered, he had all his own ships burned so his men knew they had no escape and their only hope was to win the battle ahead of them … which they did.

7. Sadish says:

Thanks for your relevant comment Jonathan. It was interesting to learn about the Persian-Greek war.